Installing a doorbell is not as easy as it seems. If you are considering installing one for your home, read this article first to see if you can do it yourself or need the services of an expert.
- Can I Install a Doorbell Myself?
- How to install a Video Doorbell Yourself
- Step 1: Charge and install the included doorbell battery
- Step 2: Download your doorbell brand smart app on your phone
- Step 3: Install the battery of the doorbell and complete the app setup
- Step 4: Turn off power to your current doorbell
- Step 5: Prepare the wall for your doorbell installation
- Step 6: Attach the doorbell wires appropriately
- Step 7: Turn the power on at your home circuit breaker
- How Much Does It Cost to Install a Doorbell?
- Can I Install Ring Video Doorbell Myself?
- How much does an electrician charge to install a doorbell?
Can I Install a Doorbell Myself?
Yes, you can install a security video doorbell yourself. It is an easy process that most people can do in less than an hour. However, Unless you’re knowledgeable about in-home wiring techniques, it’s best to call a licensed electrician to replace it. If using the existing transformer, you may be able to easily replace the chimes and button yourself
A chime is an alternative option for guests and visitors announcements. You might not want or need a loud alarm system going off when someone presses your doorbell. A nice mellow chime will let your guests know that they’ve reached their destination without alarming the entire neighborhood.
How to install a Video Doorbell Yourself
The instructions are step-by-step for installing your device and connecting to WiFi.
Step 1: Charge and install the included doorbell battery
Remove the battery from the doorbell before you mount it to the wall. This will help avoid any accidental power surges.
Once you have charged and installed the included doorbell battery, insert a power adapter into the back of the doorbell and its red light will disappear once fully charged.
Step 2: Download your doorbell brand smart app on your phone
After you have purchased your Video Doorbell, download the doorbell’s app and create an account to connect your device. Most doorbell app is available on both Android and iOS devices.
Once you have downloaded the app, open it and sign in using the email address and password you created when registering for your account. If you do not have an account, click on “Create a new account” and follow the on-screen instructions.
The battery will power on when you attach it to the doorbell, allowing for initial setup. If the battery has been depleted, plug in the included micro-USB cable to charge it for at least two hours before continuing with setup. Once charged, remove the cable and press down on the top of the doorbell until it clicks into place. You may now proceed to step three.
Step 3: Install the battery of the doorbell and complete the app setup
The doorbell app allows you to easily connect your doorbell with Wi-Fi and then select your local network so that it can connect with other devices in your home.
First, open the battery cover on the back of the Video Doorbell and attach the battery. The app will walk you through the next steps, such as connecting to Wi-Fi and selecting your home’s local network.
If you plan to hardwire your Video Doorbell using its built-in chime and transformer, you don’t need to install the rechargeable battery. However, we recommend installing a backup battery anyway, as a power outage or other unforeseen event could knock out your video doorbell’s functionality temporarily. If this happens, you’ll still be able to see who is at your door by pressing the Talk button on the front of your Video Doorbell.
For example, the Ring Doorbell has a removable battery that can last up to six months with regular use. When it does eventually die, just pop in a new one and continue using your video doorbell! You can also buy an extra rechargeable battery if you want a backup for longer periods of time without power.
The doorbell app lets you monitor activity at your doorstep when you’re not at home, using the built-in camera on your Video Doorbell 2.
Step 4: Turn off power to your current doorbell
If you have a wired doorbell, you will need to turn off the power at the circuit breaker before removing it. Some Video Doorbell is a wireless device that plugs into your door chime and shoots crisp HD video to the cloud. Once you’ve removed your wired doorbell, make sure you’ve turned off the power at the circuit breaker.
Step 5: Prepare the wall for your doorbell installation
Now that you have all the materials ready, it is time to start installing your Video Doorbell.
- Make sure the wires are connected to the Doorbell before mounting it.
- Use an electric drill to create the holes for screws that need drilling, and make sure you know where these holes are exactly.
- Ensure the chime is close to the door. If it’s not, consider moving it closer before continuing with the installation.
- Remove the outer plate of the doorbell. There are two or three screws located at the top and bottom of this plate that need to be removed using a screwdriver.
- Locate terminal wires and mark them so you don’t get confused later on when installing your faceplate. The chime has two or three wires connected to its central terminals – use tape to mark which terminal each wire is connected to, otherwise, you may get confused later on during installation.
- Loosen screws with a screwdriver and detach electrical wires from the wall for easy removal of the chime. There are two or three screws located on either side of the chime that need unscrewing using your screwdriver. Be careful not to lose any screws in the process.
- Keep your hand on the chime while you remove it so that it doesn’t fall to the floor. If it does, don’t worry – just be careful not to drop it.
- Make sure to tape all wires in place before removing them from the wall, otherwise, they will be lost when releasing it from its mounting points.
Step 6: Attach the doorbell wires appropriately
The next step in installing a doorbell is to find the two wires that were attached to the old unit. Now, wrap them around one of your screwdrivers and twist them until they snap. This will cut the wires cleanly, which is important to do with doorbells since they can be installed close to power lines.
Step 7: Turn the power on at your home circuit breaker
Once you’ve shut off the circuit breaker that powers your doorbell, you can safely handle electrical wiring. Sometimes when you turn off a breaker at your house, the doorbell still rings.
You’ll know you’ve found the right transformer for your new video doorbell if it’s too low or too high in voltage. A transformer is typically installed near a circuit breaker, but if you’re not sure where it is, try tracing where the wire from your doorbell chime goes.
To install a Video Doorbell yourself, open up your chime box and trace the wire from the “trans” terminal to see what’s connected to it If your transformer doesn’t have the right voltage, you’ll need to replace it or hire an electrician. Your transformer should have markings like “16-24V AC”.
How Much Does It Cost to Install a Doorbell?
The installation process of a doorbell can be quite expensive, adding up to around $100. For example, the Ring Doorbell retails at $99 and requires an electrician to install it for you. If you’re not comfortable doing it yourself or don’t have the time, hiring a professional is your best bet. And if that’s not in your budget, there are other alternatives.
Replacing an existing doorbell with the Ring Doorbell usually costs about $99. However, keep in mind that this price may vary depending on where you live and what type of doorbell you currently have installed.
Just like anything else, when it comes to installing a doorbell there are different variables that come into play: like the cost of utilities. Depending on your needs – like whole-house surge protectors or generators – these costs can add up fairly quickly.
Can I Install Ring Video Doorbell Myself?
Yes, you can install a Ring Video Doorbell yourself! In order to do so, you will need an existing doorbell and a pre-existing low voltage transformer.
Ring provides all of the necessary tools in the box for installation, including mounting brackets, screws, and an ethernet cord. The process is straightforward and easy to follow–just make sure that you read through our installation guide first!
How much does an electrician charge to install a doorbell?
When it comes to home repairs, many people choose to do the work themselves to save money. But sometimes it’s worth it to pay a professional. Installing a doorbell is one such task that may be better left to the pros.
Installation of a doorbell generally costs between $30 and $60 per hour for an electrician. However, some electricians may charge a flat rate for installation, which usually falls in the range of $100-200. Additionally, if there are any extra steps involved – such as installing wire or rewiring the house – electricians typically charge more for their services.
- Will a Nest Thermostat Work in an RV? [With Alternatives] - January 24, 2024
- 30 Best Smart Home Ideas: Coolest Home Devices and Gadgets to Make Your Home Smarter - January 23, 2024
- Cheap Roomba Alternatives: 5 Best Budget-Friendly Roomba Robot Vacuum - January 23, 2024